All You Need To Know About Dangerous Ants Around Parrish
None of us are particularly fond of the insects that call our backyard home, but these six-legged nest builders are quite possibly the most annoying, destructive, and dangerous of them all.
Ants are some of the most common outdoor pests found in Parrish's residential lawns. Long, thin, and easy to identify, ants are best recognized by their:
- Yellow, tan, red, black, and brown color patterns
- Two antennae with an ‘elbow’ or bend in the middle
- Six legs protruding from the thorax
- Large mandibles used for fighting, lifting, and other manual labors
Most ants that invade homes are considered to be nuisance pests, meaning that they do not pose any significant dangers to human health. However, some ant species are lethal to human beings, or even destructive to the buildings in which they live. No matter what type of ants may be marching through your lawn, none of them should be allowed to stay.
Parrish’s Guide To Nuisance Ants Vs. Dangerous Ants
Of the three categories of ants that populate the Parrish area, nuisance ants are by far the most common. These nuisance ants include species such as:
- Ghost Ants: These pale brown ants measure a mere 1.5 millimeters at maturity.
- Thief Ants: The aptly named thief ant is one of the biggest spreaders of poultry tapeworm, despite its small size.
- Bigheaded Ants: These nuisance ants are best identified by their large heads, massive mandibles, and dark brown exoskeletons.
- White-footed Ants: With populations estimated at 3 million ants per colony, these black-bodied, white-legged ants are enemies of nurseries all over Florida state.
- Argentine Ants: This ant species is one of the most contentious varieties in the Southern United States, displacing native ant species and infesting residential properties.
- Odorous House Ants: As their name suggests, these black ants emit a foul odor when present in the home.
Contrary to popular belief, nuisance pests may still create problems for your quiet Parrish home. Nuisance ants are capable of contaminating food sources, cracking sidewalks and asphalt spaces, and lowering the quality of your lawn. In addition, nuisance ant infestations are hard to get rid of once established in the yard.
Nuisance ant infestations are certainly a pain to endure, but there are other ant species in the Central Florida region that are even worse. Unfortunately, there are several types of dangerous or damaging ants that could be putting you and your family at risk.
- Fire Ants: Identified by their bright red bodies, fire ants inflict vicious stings that may hospitalize certain victims.
- Crazy Ants: Drawn to HVAC units and electrical impulses, crazy ants sometimes cause house fires and electrical shorts by chewing through wires.
- Pharaoh Ants: One of the most dangerous beasts to ever cross a hospital threshold, pharaoh ants spread serious strains of bacteria from patient to patient, including salmonella, e. coli, and staph infections.
- Carpenter Ants: Although they do not eat wood, these large black ants bore through wooden structures in order to create nests for their young.
Need immediate identification for the ant species knocking on your door? Contact the professionals at Keller’s Pest Control for a free home estimate.
Ant Beware, You’re In For A Scare
For total ant control during the growing season and beyond, reach out to the ant experts at Keller’s Pest Control. Our knowledgeable service agents have been serving the Parrish area for over 20 years with treatments that lead to brighter, safer, and pest-free tomorrows. Learn more about the pest control options that are best for you by calling your nearest Parrish branch, or chatting with us online.